Saturday, May 5, 2007

Old friends

Isn't it funny how with some people you considered friends, you don't see them for a few weeks and when you finally see them again it's strained and forced? And with other people you can go for more than a year without seeing them and when you do it's like you saw them yesterday?

Woke up this morning... sent D off to the digital imaging show with his Dad... hung out with the ma-in-law for a while and then headed off out to Stratford to meet A for "brunch". A and I met when we were both Arts frosh (ok, so it was my second Frosh year, but that's irrelevant ;) ). We became friends through classes and the friendship was solidified when we were assigned to the wardrobe crew for a show during our technical theatre course. Neither of us were particularly handy with a needle and thread, so we volunteered to be "running crew"... hours of quick repairs, quick changes, lacing people into corsets, wig dressing, and laundry. Yes... laundry... which also netted us keys to the department and 2 different buildings, which was kind of cool. When we moved off-campus, we shared accommodations for 2 terms... she was going to be a bridesmaid the first time I was wedding planning (heck, she would have been one the time I actually went through with it, but she's working in the theatre scene, so her time can be unpredictable... she goes where the shows are). Once I left Waterloo, we drifted apart and our friendship fell into the pattern of periodic emails of the "are you still alive" sort. But when we saw each other today it was like no time had passed. I mean, we spent a lot of chatter catching up, but we chatted easily.

On the other hand, I ran into a girl I was decently close to a few months back... conversation was stilted. Maybe it was the relatively short shared history. Maybe we just weren't as close as we once thought. In any case... I thought it was an interesting thing.

And... to round off the day... my ma-in-law has offered to help me learn how to sew... which could be a handy skill to have, considering how difficult it is to find clothes at a reasonable price that are built for a woman who's 6' tall (6'1" if I'm feeling energetic). So here's hoping I can learn *laugh* I'm seeing this as a positive sign and a possible bonding experience... either that or she hates my clothes and thinks I need to learn how to make something decent *laugh*

No comments: