Monday, April 19, 2010

Is professional baseball dead in Toronto? And if so... whose fault is it?

As a change of pace from my usual weighty or irate posting, today I'm going to wax philosophical about a question I saw on the front page of a local paper recently. I'm going to pretend I have a knowledge of marketing beyond mere common sense. I'm going to pretend that anyone reading gives a flying rat's ass about my thoughts on the subject, too ;)

Question: Is professional baseball dead in Toronto

Answer: It certainly looks that way. The Jays played a sold out Home Opener (because, let's face it, it's been months without baseball... people have forgotten how painfully mediocre (at best) the team usually is... and hope springs eternal). But then drew barely 10,000 - 11,000 for their next 2 games. A drop in the bucket at the SkyDome... sorry, Rogers Centre... with a capacity for baseball of nearly 50,000.

So, assuming that the answer to the first question is 'yes'... it sparks another question: Whose fault is it?

Answer: I'd say it's the fault of the Blue Jays organization. Not the team, per se. The marketing department and the folks who set prices.

I'll be the first to admit that the team hasn't done a whole lot for the fans in the city since, oh, the back-to-back World Series'... but it's been more than 15 years since that (damn I feel old *laugh*). I'll be the first to admit that I find the sport of baseball more boring than watching grass grow, and that my opinion of both the sport and the team was not helped by the last time I went to a game... I showed up 15 minutes after the opening pitch was due to be thrown only to find them at the bottom of the 2nd already... and the watched the designated hitter strike out in 3 at-bats. Wow... and that's the designated 'hitter'? Not good. I have no love for the sport or the team.

But sports teams in this city seem to labour under the mistaken impression that just because the Leafs are (incomprehensibly) adored, ALL the sports teams will be adored regardless of how poorly they perform. The folks who set ticket prices seem to believe that just because the Leafs manage to be the most expensive team in the league to watch and still manage to sell out, that they can charge whatever they like and people will pay it. Not so, my friends. This is Canada... as we've all been told a zillion times, hockey's not a sport here, it's a religion.

When was the last time you saw an ad for the Blue Jays or for an event at one of ther games? No, wait, before you answer that, let me clarify... NOT an ad for ONE player... an ad for the team, for the organization, or for a 'deal'. Frankly, I can't remember. All I remember seeing for the past years beyond count (mostly, I'll admit, because I can't be bothered to count) is ads featuring a particular player. Hmm... ok, if you can GUARANTEE that I'll see THAT player when I go to a game, then it's a worthwhile ad-spend. I'm thinking, though, when the featured player is a pitcher and you've got 3 in standard rotation, you can't make that guarantee... so... no, I'll keep my money and catch the highlights on the news. I remember when "nose bleed seats" used to be cheap. $13 to sit high enough to suffer from being in the smog layer and watch ants run around a patch of pseudo-grass doesn't seem like much of a deal to me. $5 for a 500-level seat, I could maybe see... if there was something to draw me in... some give-away... some small chance of catching a ball... or a t-shirt... or anything other than a cold and the ash from indoor fireworks (assuming they do that still... and assuming if they do, that there's a home-run to prompt it).

Concessions are over-priced. Tickets are over-priced. Events and features are under-publicized. Example, "girls night out" features... to encourage groups of women to go out, take in a game, get a few perks... meet a few players... ok, I heard about it because of a friend trying to organize a group and because I happened to be tuned in to a radio station on the one morning when they gave away one package. Other than that... if you don't haunt the Blue Jays website, there's not a whole lot of publicity going on. At least, not on non-baseball related locations. Not that I've seen. So, fewer ads, fewer draws to the stadium... means fewer butts in the seats. But, rather than take a risk on profit margin and buy into the Wal-Mart or Zeller's scheme of small return but more sales and drop the ticket price to get more butts into the seats and make it an experience they'll want to repeat, they seem to instead buy into the "OMG, nobody's buying tickets, we need to charge more to make up the difference" school of thinking... which is really one of those evil death-spiral ways of thinking. You don't give people a reason to buy tickets, so they don't buy tickets, so you increase the price, so the people who were kind of on the fence about the value fall off into the "I'm not paying that much for a mediocre team" side, so fewer people buy tickets, so you increase the price, so the people who were on the fence... you see where this is going? It's going to $25 nose-bleed seats and an empty stadium.

So... I say professional baseball's dead in this town, and the Blue Jays have no-one to blame but themselves for approving questionable ad campaigns and pricing themselves out of the market.

But that's just me ;)

Oh... and since I've just looked at the Jay's website. My bad... $14 for nose-bleed seats. No group discounts for less than 20 people, and even with 20 people, you only get a discount of $2 - 4 (based on nose-bleed seats) per ticket (depending on who they're playing and when). Wow. There are no words.

5 comments:

NotWeasel said...

I'm pretty sure they still run their $2 ticket promotions now and then. I don't think that's the issue though. I think anything under $20 is more than reasonable to go see a game. The problem is that the league is set up in such a way that no matter what the Jays do, they can't even get into the playoffs anymore, much less have a shot at the title. I think they should change things up and take the top 8 teams of each league to the playoffs. As it stands, with the Jays sharing a division with the Red Sox and Yankees, they just don't have a chance. This isn't the same league they won back to back titles in. In this league, either the Red Sox or the Yankees will win the division, and the other will get the wild card. There's no room for the Jays, who can't possibly be expected to spend $150million+ to compete.

So it's not that the team is too bad to be worth watching. They're not. They're good enough to win on any given night, and I enjoy watching them now and then, but I know full well they're not going to the playoffs so it's not worth investing my time to be a fan.

I'll probably go to a game or two each year with friends for a good night out, but I can't imagine anyone putting out the cash for season tickets or spending a ton on merchandise to show how devoted they are. What's the point?

celtic_kitten said...

But I didn't actually say the reason baseball was dead in this town was because the team sucks (that's obviously irrelevant, since both the Leafs and the Argos manage decent turn-outs ;) ). I said it's because their marketing department needs a reality check and their tickets are overpriced in general.

The measure of whether a sport is dead, to me anyway, is not merchandising (who cares how many people buy jerseys/caps/mugs/socks/flags/whatever?)... it's ticket sales.

NotWeasel said...

Right. And I just don't think it's the price that's the issue. Maybe the high concession prices could use a bit of a break, but the ticket prices are reasonable.

I think the reason for the record low turnout is that nobody is interested in going to games regularly for the reasons I mentioned above. So everyone who was looking forward to baseball being back went to the opener, and they'll all go to another handful of games over the course of the season, but certainly not in the next week.

There's plenty of marketing during the games on tv, talking about all their little promotions, and I recall seeing lots of ads focusing on players other than Halliday last year.

What else can they promote though? With the Leafs, everyone has high hopes for the team improving and there's always some (however unfounded) expectation that maybe next year they'll be a contender. At least the possibility is there.

I don't think there's anyone thinking that with just the right couple additions, the Jays may go all the way. It's not even a matter of rebuilding or anything else.

celtic_kitten said...

But they could run ads that would get people excited about the GAME... about the TEAM. I don't care about one guy on a team of 20 (or however many are on the full team roster)... I might care about the TEAM. Show game clips, show fan clips... don't show me some guy whose name you think I should recognize but who there's a good chance I won't see if I buy a ticket (the pitcher thing was an example... if the same guys played all game every game, then they wouldn't have the need for a roster beyond those guys, would they? ;) )... show stories about kids who grew up watching the Jays and now take their own kids to see them (if you can find any)...

I don't watch the games on TV... and really, the people who do are obviously already fans, so running ads then won't increase your base or get more butts in the seats. Example, Fox runs ads for NASCAR at times OTHER than during race broadcasts... to remind the folks who ordinarily watch the races, but also to intrigue or hook folks who don't. Ok, so they're marketing for viewership, not ticket sales, but it's still a valid marketing ploy. And a lot of the ads are designed to evoke an emotional response... a feeling of excitement.

Stop trying to sell the season and start trying to sell the GAME. Make it appealing as a day out. Sell package deals where you can get 4 seats and some concession coupons for less than the price of 3 individaul tickets. Do group discounts for fewer than 20 people. Do better discounts for groups of 20 - 99. Promote the events to more than just the people who're already going or watching.

Running ads during the game on TV or in person is like "preaching to the choir"... these are already the people who probably make up the 10,000 they're likely to get in the stands. They need to sell it to the people who aren't already involved. The people who think it's the most boring event on the planet. The people who follow other sports because they think they're more exciting (oh hey... or find a way to make going to a game more exciting ;) ). The people who would never even THINK of a Jays game as a good time out with friends/family on a summer evening/afternoon... or as a corporate event... or a 'team building' excursion... if you always market to the same demographic, you don't expand your market base... if you don't expand your market base, your share can only shrink due to attrition. If your share is constantly shrinking your product will, eventually, fail.

celtic_kitten said...

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/article/799902--can-the-blue-jays-survive-in-toronto?bn=1

The Star have yet another crack at puzzling out the future of baseball in Toronto (that's 3 or 4 times in a week, I think...)