Thursday, March 13, 2008

Doctors... it's nothing personal, but I hate you.

So... just got back to my desk after a trip to see my GP. Unfortunately, he's my GP by default because after years of searching and finally finding a GP I didn't despise on an instinctive level, he went an took a year's sabbatical and never came back. Don't get me started on that one.

Anyway... went to see my GP. Why? Because in an effort to bilk OHIP for as much money as possible, he refuses to give me refils on any of my prescriptions. His thinking is that he's giving me a 3 month supply and I should be happy with that. My thinking is that (for example, today's visit) I've been on this asthma controller for 2+ years, it works well, if it stopped working I'd seek an alternative, it's a pain in my ass and a very obvious money grab by him to force me to come back to his office every 3 months for a refil. I have another medication that I've been on for 2+ years... I will be on it for the rest of my life... however, since it's something that may occasionally need to be adjusted, I can see having me come in for that... but it'll only get checked ever 6 months, so why bring me back every 3????

But that's beside the point... not actually the reason for my rant, other than having been the impetus that brought me to the doctor's office.

My appointmet was set for 11:15... I left work at about 10:45 to allow lots of time to navigate and get lost in the P.A.T.H. (if you're not from TOronto... google "P.A.T.H. Toronto" to find out about the huge, labyrinthine underground mall). I arrived at the doc's office at 10:50 (aproximately). I reported to the receptionist, presented my health card, she pulled up the appointment grid on the computer and sent me to sit down. And that's where I stayed from 10:50 until noon while my doctor saw 2 patients, went for coffee, and wandered aimlessly around the clinic. Why? Because the stupid-ass receptionist checked me in, but didn't pull my damn chart. And apparently the doctor doesn't get a list of when he's got appointments booked for the day.

Anyway... got called in at 12:00, and 12:05 I was handing my prescription to the pharmacist across the hall, and at 12:15 was on my way back to work. Now if only that sort of efficiency hadn't been kocked so firmly off the rails by one stupid bint forgetting the most important step in her job. *grumble* (ok... I'm willing to admit, I don't know that much about her job, but C'mon... patient shows up... patient checks in... PULL PATIENT CHART and place in doctor's call box... it's a pretty freakin' important step in the process!!!!!!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you posted!
I agree with your frustration!

Doctors in Toronto are not just doctors... they are actually GOD/Higher Beings/Top of the Triangle Higher-up..and UP!

They can take your health card, swipe it ... and send you back home after you waited for an hour with in the minute they step into the door.

Funny, I asked for an second opinion cause I'm diabetic.. and this DOC said. "You don't trust your doctor?" and took me for a stroll around the park .... I was so enraged! It's my life DOC! I wanted to know what else I can do to better my condition! Why do I have to feel like I'm having an affair JUST to get more information!? I ended up telling him the "Internet" seeems to be much better at not being rude and has more information than you do. Than I left.

Thanks GOD/Higher Beings/Top of the Triangle Higher-up..and UPs! All they do is just complain about the system... money is all they want.