Monday, April 21, 2008

Above the law?

Alrighty... this'll probably get me in trouble, but it's something I've observed and felt I'd comment on (because it's been far too long since I've written anything ;) )

A few nights ago D and I were sitting in the car waiting to make a left turn. At this particular intersection and on the side of the street we were on, there are 2 left-turn lanes, three lanes going straight, and one right-turn lane. The left turn lanes have their own signal, that turns green at the same time as the one to go straight (on that side of the road), but doesn't last as long.

We were in the right-most left turn lane (right beside a lane going straight).

Now, often there's an issue at this intersection when the left lanes get their advanced signal because people going the other way turning right just make their turn anyway. I guess they figure that there are 3 lanes to turn into, so they make the turn, then immediately realize that the right-most lane on our target street is actually a 401 on-ramp and dive into the centre lane (the target lane for the turn-lane we were in the other night).

The issue I encountere, however, was a different, and unexpected one.

As we were waiting for our signal, an OPP motorcycle cop pulled up beside us. It seemed a little odd to me that he was on the extreme left of the lane (practically on the line between my lane and his), and I asked D "Is he giving any indication that he's turning?". For this, I got a look as if I had three heads. Why would I ask? He was in a lane going straight. But, he looked out and said "Nope, no signal".

Sure enough, the light goes green and the motorcycle cop launches into a left turn right across in front of me. Good thing I was paying attention, I guess.

This is not the first time I've seen cops, particularly in and around this lovely city (why yes, you do detect a slight note of sarcasm there) ignoring the rules they so lovingly enforce on the rest of us.... driving without proper safety restraints (what's a seat-belt?), running lights and stop-signs (without either lights or sirens), making illegal turns (that "no left turn" sign can't possibly apply), not signaling lane changes, showing complete disregard for speed limits, and being generally un-safe on the roads. So often I've wanted to pull one over and say "I'd like to make a citizen's arrest... can you write yourself a ticket for making an illegal turn, failing to indicate a lane change, lane change in an intersection, and speeding?"

Somehow, I don't think it'd go over well.

No comments: