Monday, November 3, 2008

Seriously?

So... those of you who might be reading and aren't in Toronto might need some 'background'.

We have city issued Garbage and recycling bins (and green bins for compostable materials).  Recently, the city began charging an additional fee for garbage collection based on the size of garbage bin selected by homeowners.  We also alternate garbage and recycling collections (i.e. last week they collected garbage, so this week it's recycling, and next week is garbage again).

Last week, D rolled our garbage bin to the curb for the weekly pick-up.  I completely forgot what day it was, so I didn't think to go out and bring it back in.  In fact, I completely forgot about it until 8 p.m. when he turned to me and said "Thanks for bringing in the bin!".  Oh crap.  I didn't.  You mean it's not there?  Yup... that's exactly what he meant.

Somebody stole our farking bin!

Seriously?  You've got nothing better to do that steal someone's city-issued garbage bin?  What... it's got wheels and therefore must be stolen?  WTF?!?!?

So... now I have to wander the neighbourhood to see if there's a stray garbage can sitting at the curb somewhere (since this is recycling week, it should stand out), and approach the residents of the house where it might be before taking the damn thing for a walk through the neighbourhood to bring it home.  OR, worst case, I get to call the city... get bounced around (because inevitably I will call the wrong department first, or no-one will know how to answer me)... and get to argue the "no, I don't remember what size bin I ordered, but you should be able to tell me that, since you're charging me based on a particular bin size" point.

Who steals a garbage can?

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Note that the bins have RFID tags in them so they should be able to identify your bin even if you didn't put your address on it.

Of course, that doesn't mean the garbage people actually have anything that can READ the tags... but hey.. you never know!

Michelle Hopp said...

Who does that? Seriously. Did you have any luck in trying to track it down? Was your address written on it?