Monday, January 12, 2009

A challenge to my readers... all 3 of you *laugh*

ok, ok... there might be more than 3 of you.

Anyway, chatting with a few people over the past few days, and it being the New Year and a season for improvement and change, I thought I'd challenge the folks who read here.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to leave me a comment telling me how you feel about me. Good, bad, indifferent. BUT... there's a catch... any criticism must be constructive and couched in diplomatic terms. None of these lazy-ass insults... you've got to phrase it in a way that I won't automatically tune out.

What do I hope to achieve here? Well, a few things. I hope to learn what I'm doing right and not-so-right in my life/relationships/writing/whatever. I hope to learn what people really think about me. And I hope to challenge the people who give a rats ass to find diplomatic ways to express the less savoury thoughts they have to share.

For example:
"You're depressing to be around and thrive on misery"... not constructive, not diplomatic, and really not worth my time to consider.
"You've got a wicked sense of humour and should try to show it to more people more often"... highlights the positive, but encourages personal development.

Of course, I'll welcome purely positive responses, too *laugh*

Reply with your blogger profile... or reply anonymously if you feel more comfortable...

The challenge has been issued... who will rise to the occasion?

2 comments:

Michelle Hopp said...

I think you're one of the rare true friends that I have, and incredibly loyal to boot. I know that I can tell you anything in the world and know that you would always offer to help me, whether it's to talk me through it or otherwise. That and you're one of the smartest people I know! :D

I sometimes worry that you don't stop to see the positives (albeit these can be the "impossible to see" positives unless you REALLY go looking for them) in a situation or circumstance and you tend to spend that energy instead dwelling on the negatives or giving those negatives more time than they are worth (albeit these negatives can be very obvious and easy to latch on to).

Even if the negatives outnumber the positives in life, I think we all need to focus on the positive things that do happen, no matter how small, and try to not give the negatives more attention that they deserve.

Inspite of that small observation however, I think you're pretty kick ass and I love you lots! :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think I have really had somebody come into my life who is as true and caring and honest as you are.

You are a rare and valuable friend and I am very lucky.

I worry that you don't see the same value in yourself. I know that so many other people see it but I see that it is hard for you to grab on to it and not fade into the background when times get really tough. You are a beautiful, valuable woman worthy of respect and love!

If you feel like that is not so, come out of hiding and get a good reminder from time to time.

(((HUGS)))