Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The Tuesday Night Distraction Club

Before I begin, please bear with me while I let off a little steam. This dang survey that’s been plaguing me… the same one that changed direction 2 weeks back while Boss Man was on vacation… it’s driving me up the freakin’ wall! So far… it’s gone from being just a survey, to being a survey with a sweepstakes. It’s gone from being generic and un-named to having a definite name (after my designer was already done with the ads and masthead *sigh*). I STILL don’t have copy (did I mention it’s supposed to launch on Friday?) or feedback on the mock-up. It’s 11:20 on Wednesday. Launch is Friday (never ideal). Tomorrow is a write-off, so basically, it has to be pretty much done by the end of today, or I have to bail on a team-building exercise (and much needed break) to try to pull it together at the last minute. Gah!!!

Anyhoo… on to happier topics….

Today is Wednesday. No, really… it is! (sorry, odd mood… I blame this marketing exec destroying what was left of my sanity *laugh*) Last night was the inaugural meeting of Shannon’s Tuesday Night Distraction group. The poor dear has organized a weekly outing, not merely for the diva-esqueness of a weekly trip to some fabulous venue with friends (and strangers ;) ), but because her darling husband has made some new social connections (awesome) that have her home overrun with players of Dungeons & Dragons every Tuesday night (not nearly as awesome). Last night was the first of, I hope anyway, many outings with “the girls”. Turned out to be a small group… Shannon, two girls she works with, myself (who up ‘til last night only knew her through WB and her blog), and her hubby’s niece (I think?). Truly wonderful gals… great conversation… much laughter. Basically the essential ingredients of an entertaining evening… plus vodka! Martinis all ‘round (and, might I add, as someone who doesn’t really like vodka, the “Perestroika” martini I had was yummy! Vodka, cassis (mmm, black currant), and white cranberry juice *drool*). Some muchies. Incomprehensible Russian films that look like they’re from the 60s. A washroom that was incredibly badly lit, remarkably clean, and had a hand dryer that seemed determined to knock users to the floor. The sticker on the dryer inviting you to “feel the power” wasn’t kidding!

The perfect capper to the evening… I didn’t have to take the train home alone! Shannon’s living in Whitby, so we hit McPuke’s for a quick dinner (because dinner at 9:00 p.m. is not generally a good idea) and hopped the 8:13 train East… where we proceeded to chatter until the train stopped at my station. A highly enjoyable evening and I’m looking forward to the next event!

On other topics… I’ve been wracking my brain trying to think if I know any nice single guys I could point towards my newly reacquired friend. I’m stumped. The guys I know that I’m SURE would be a good match are all taken… there are a few that I think might be a good match personality and interest wise, but their slime potential is entirely too high (I want to keep this gal as a friend, so fixing her up with someone who’s going to do something slimy is a poor choice, I’m thinking). There’s one guy who I think might be a good match, but he’s not really a close friend. Actually, to be completely honest, I know remarkably little about his life these days. He was probably my first crush… way back in grade school some time. His little brother was in my class and our mothers were good friends. Still are, really… his parents were at my wedding… my parents were at his little brother’s wedding… that sort of thing. I think they might get along well, but it’s hard to know for sure. Ah well… as I said, he’s not really that close a friend… in fact, I’m not even sure of his relationship status… maybe it’s time to do some baking and go visit my “second mom” ;)

No comments: