Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Is it Friday yet?

I know, I know... it's only Tuesday, it's a bit early to be asking whether it's Friday yet or not, but it's been ... interesting.

Yesterday went decently well... until roughly the time I got home. Pulled onto the driveway at 4:50 and it looked like it was 8:30... deepening twilight. Except with an ugly green tinge. And the wind was picking up. *shudder* Not good signs. So I went inside, closed the blinds and shutters on the main floor and upstairs, and parked myself in front of the TV in our family room (60% below grade) to pretend the outside world didn't exist. It worked pretty well... for about 10 minutes. Then the rain started... and the wind picked up... and the noises got interesting (non-thunder rumblings... like a low-flying jet).... then the light show started with it's accompanying thunder crashes (judging purely by the light/sound combos, I'd say it was 2 or 3 systems converging... something about one flash of lightning that spawns 3 crashes of thunder spaced out over about 45 seconds... very odd. And then 30 minutes later it was bright and sunny and the birds were singing. Did I mention very odd?

Walked out the front door later to make sure everything was still where it should be... found the top of the light that's on the wall beside our front door ON the front doorstep. But it looks like that was the only real damage we saw at home.

Poor D at work didn't get off so easily. In fact, the poor boy didn't get home until 9:30 last night. Officially he was done work at 5:00, but they went into disaster recovery mode and he took on a leadership role in that (growing up in tornado country (kind of), extensive camping experience, and having gone through 2 floods and 2 car crashes in the past 4 years tend to increase your ability to think on your feet, I guess *laugh*). Apparently it sounded and looked like a twister had gone through their property... noise of a fast-moving freight train... mature (like 80+ year old) trees uprooted and dumped all over the place... power poles toppled... live wires resting on the main gate (apparently the paint has been cooked right off them)... sky-lights ripped off buildings... construction debris everywhere. And, of course, a high-profile event on-site today. Luckily, due to the timing and some sheer luck, there were no injuries ('most everyone had left already for the day) or significant damage (well, apart from the trees, skylights, and the hydro issues which they can't do anything about anyway). But, after working 4 extra hours last night, poor D had to go in early this morning to document the damage (with his DSLR, last night all they had was a crap-tastic point-and-shoot of the very old and low-res variety), do the paperwork... and before that, relieve the security guard who had to be there all night since they couldn't close the gates. He's going to be a mess by the time he gets home tonight :(

I'm not having a great morning, myself. Getting out of bed was a challenge... neither of us wanted to get up... and the cats didn't want us to get up either *laugh*. D was still recovering from going full-speed until he fell into bed last night... I didn't sleep well. No, not strictly true... I slept. But had one of those dream nights where you wake up dead tired. Dreamt about someone who died quite a while ago... that was odd. Dreamt of the most abusive of my exes (thank god I wised up on that one!)... that was unpleasant. Did my usual trick of dreaming of places I've never been. I'm told it's impossible, but somehow I keep managing it. *shrug*

Anyway... got to the GO station for my train and realized I didn't have my book. Great. 30 minutes on a crowded train with nothing to distract my brain from the music being funnelled into my ears. That's the sort of thing that leads to embarrassing singing. Not that my singing in itself is embarrassing... but singing along to something the rest of the world can't hear? Not good. And knowing my tendancies, not just singing along to something the rest of the world can't hear, but HARMONIZING with something the rest of the world can't hear. Double not good. Luckily, with great focus, I managed to restrain myself. An interesting mix on the iPod, though... some Supertramp... some Red Hot Chili Peppers... some Evanescence... some Depeche Mode... Tool... Bif Naked... Disturbed... Simon & Garfunkle... 80s tunes... the Tea Party... the Rolling Stones... to say my tastes are a little eclectic seems somehow an understatement *laugh*

But if I hadn't forgotten my book, I wouldn't have seen the deer grazing beside the train tracks. Very cute. Very unexpected (how the hell did it get there? The nearest ravine/treed area is isolated from where it was by 10' high fences... man, them deers is agile! *laugh*)

Now if only I could find an up-side to having forgotten my building pass, too *sigh*

No comments: