Thursday, April 26, 2007

World Shrinking and Invisibility

So... today is my 7th day on facebook... and I've already managed to connect two groups of people I "know". Ok, so technically I've connected a girl I haven't seen since grade 6 with one I've never actually met in person, but it's still a strange feeling after only a week on there!

Of course, truth be told, I actually connected two groups on my first or second day when I connected a girl I no longer talk to because she felt that I couldn't possibly be telling the truth, but someone who had no involvement in the situation at hand must know exactly what was going on to a guy I grew up with (different schools, but our parents were friends... still are, actually, and he was the reference I used when I found our wedding photographer since I recognized a picture in one of the show albums)... but that was her commenting on a picture he posted in a group... this morning's connection was through one posting on the other's "wall".

And, to get off the facebook topic (sorry, I'm fascinated)... I overheard someone this morning talking about "blending seamlessly into the context of the surroundings". Now, I know (because I heard the conversation) that she was talking about fitting in with whatever group/environment she was in, but it got me thinking about a peculiar talent I seem to have.

I can be invisible.

No, I don't mean I go transparent or anything bizzarro like that. I mean that I can manage to go completely unnoticed in most situations in which I find myself.

Take, for example, back in my UW Theatre days. In the Green Room there was a large, light coloured chair perfect for sprawling in. The walls of the room were also light in colour. I was a theatre tech, and as such frequently work all black (although not nearly as often as people THOUGHT I did). I'm also 6' tall (roughly... 6'1" if I'm feeling extra lively). One day I was attired in head to toe black (dark hair, black shirt, black jeans, black doc boots... pale face, though) and sprawled in said chair. I had been there for quite a while. Another girl walked in... walked right past me and started to play with the stereo which was located about 18" from where I sat. She got it set the way she wanted, rummaged in her book bag, stood up, turned around and... jumped about 2 feet into the air when she saw me. She honestly had no idea I was there. 6' of darkness planted on a light background and she hadn't seen me. Likewise, the person who 10 minutes later tried to sit on me.

I'm not sure what it is. Whether I'm a natural chameleon... or whether I'm too quiet (I know, if you only know me from dealing with me online you'll likely find that hard to believe)... or whether I'm too "still" (Among my feline qualities... I'm often comfortable in positions that don't look like they should be... and once I'm comfortable, I can be still for hours... if I want to be)... whatever it is, people find it very easy to paint me into the background... like furniture or a tree *laugh* It has its useful moments, but it has it's frustrating ones too (when I'm driving I seem to transmit the ability to my car, for example).

And yet, at the same time, I'm told I can be quite imposing and a little bit threatening (I'm convinced 90% of the attentions I've received from guys has been "fear as aphrodesiac" (or however you spell that) *laugh* It's the same way the perception of a panther often includes the description "sexy" even though it would happily rip your throat open and drink deep.)

That's probably enough rambling for one day...

No comments: