Monday, April 23, 2007

Some people shouldn't be allowed to drive...

Why, in the name of all that is holy, would you pull out into traffic right in front of a car doing the limit, and proceed to drive 25 km/h slower? Why? Please, won't somebody tell me why?

Sadly... not an isolated occurrance... it happened to me no fewer than 4 times yesterday alone! *sigh* The really stupid thing about it? (as opposed to the merely annoying bits) IN ALL 4 CASES THERE WAS NOBODY BEHIND ME!!!!!

I remember when is was getting my licence (long, long ago... in a galaxy far... no wait, that was something else) people used to occasionally fail their test. Actually, it happened fairly frequently. Indeed, impeding the flow of traffic lost you significant points in the scoring.

Now, looking at the drivers in 93% of these occurrances (ok, so the stats are random, but still... it's a disturbingly high percentage, although not all cases)... prompts a question I'm almost afraid to voice (wouldn't want to be accused of being politically incorrect or bigotted).... Are there different standards for licencing people who may have been licenced in another country? Ok... I don't actually mean that in quite the negative way it sounds. In no way am I "anti-immigrant"... heck, if it weren't for immigrants, I wouldn't be here today... I'd be working my butt off in Ireland with no hope of ever owning my own home (good grief housing prices there are insane!!!)... I've just noticed that a high percentage of the drivers who tend to do this sort of idiotic, self-involved, dangerous thing share certain demographic similarities that would TEND to put them in the category of "I was licenced in another country and they just commuted the qualification when I came here without making me re-test", or in some cases "what do you mean 'test'?" ( I say this because some of them are my parents' age... When my parents got their licences in Ireland, there was no test involved.... a licence to drive was purchased... just like a fishing licence is here).

Anyway... that's my rant for yesterday... there may well be another later today *laugh* (I did warn you that this was where I'd RANT, rave, and ramble ;) )

No comments: