Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Flakey people suck

So... one of the online forums I'm involved with has a "secret girl friend" (SGF) exchange going on. It was set to start June 1st and run 'til the end of the year. Everyone who signed up was assigned someone to send to and was in turn assigned to someone else, so everyone should be both sending and receiving... 2 cards and one 'gift' (target range $5 - 10, but discretionary) per month.

Now, some gals jumped the gun and started in May as soon as assignements were out, but the official start was June 1st. I've been having a blast sending cards and little things to my SGF... and while part of that is finding things to send her (which is far more fun than I expected), part of it is her very enthusiastic online response when she gets something. She, as far as I know, has no idea who is sending things to her, and although I might send a clue or two, I don't plan on revealing myself until Christmas.

I, on the other hand have recieved absolutely nothing. Not a card. Not a 'gift'. Nothing. And I'm pretty sure I know who has me. Apparently her June gift got sent back to her because she had the wrong address. And rather than re-send it, she figured she'd add to it for July. So I've had some "private messages" in my account on that site asking what kind of books I like and telling me that she now had a shoebox full of stuff to send. She also said she'd mail it last Tuesday. Now, unless she's in a VERY rural area, the Canada Post delivery standard for inside the province is a maximum 4 days. And I suspect this gal is in the Ottawa area... not exactly VERY rural (by VERY rural, we're talking float-plane to get there). So if it was mailed on Tuesday, it should have gotten to me on Friday... yesterday at the latest if she missed the Tuesday pick-up. Nada.

OK... so I was willing to let June slide... apparently she was going through some stuff. When July rolled around without even a card, though, I was getting discouraged. Now that we're in the last full week of July and I haven't gotten jack, I'm beyond discouraged and firmly entrenched in peeved. OK, I understand that life gets in the way sometimes and putting together a parcel is one of those things that can easily be let slide... but c'mon... it takes 5 minutes to write a card, address it, slap a stamp on it, and shove it in a mailbox. In 7 days she'll be 4 cards and 2 parcels behind on her commitment. That's just kinda flakey. And irritating since if it's who I think it is, she's been getting stuff from her SGF.

So now, the dilemma. Do I PM her and say "WTF? Did it get 'lost' again?"... or do I PM the organizer and say "can you let my SGF know that she can save her postage 'cuz I don't want to keep hoping for something in my mailbox if she's not going to send anything"?

Of course, now that I've written this, there should be something in my mailbox tonight, right? Isn't that how this works? *sigh*

No comments: