Friday, May 4, 2007

Sad for so many reasons...

I just read a news article that the Toronto Humane Society are having "Midnight Madness" tonight and extended hours all weekend in an effort to get their cat population under control (they're at the maximum... and it's kitten season).

While I love the Humans Society and the work they do for abandoned and rescued animals, I find this sad.

Sad because people are so irresponsible, careless and heartless that they have reached maximum capacity (in spite of a major adoption drive pre-Christmas).

Sad because they think a "Midnight Madness" event is a good idea. Sad because they keep having these drives leading up to holidays and "deals" and gimmicks... these are not the sorts of things that bring in quality pet owners. These are the sorts of things that bring in people who're prone to gimmick advertising or cheap kittens or cute presents... people who may very well tire of these poor animals in a matter of weeks and turn around and abuse or abandon them. And does that really get anyone ahead?

Humane Societies around the world say over and over and over "Never give a pet as a birthday or holiday present"... because it's cute in the moment, but the novelty wears off... pet ownership is a commitment. A commitment that's trivialized by pre-holiday adopt-a-thon events and Midnight Madness "sales". Reduce the adoption fees periodically, sure... throw in free spaying/neutering, sure... showcase the harder to adopt inmates, sure... but don't promote a "Midnight Madness" event or encourage people to adopt a pet at a time when they're trying to think of a cute gift. *grumble*

Midnight Madness is for furniture... not for pets.

Ok... off the soap-box now. On to happier topics....

We're heading out of town this weekend (in a few short hours, in fact) and as a result I get to have brunch tomorrow with an old friend I don't get to see nearly enough... and hopefully another friend, too who I rarely get to see and for whom I have the cutest baby-related parcel...

I'm jazzed. Plus I think I'm still a bit wound up (albeit somewhat tired) from my 'business' excursion last night. Observed a friendly and very hap-hazard game of Texas Hold'Em... played a LOT of pool... met some new people (and some not so new, but now I've got a face to go with the name)... and got the details of a pool league! I've missed playing pool in a decent environment that wasn't my basement *laugh* So, hopefully when the league starts up again in September (they take the summers off for the rec league... and I'm not really a competetive leaguer) I'll be able to join in!

No comments: