Thursday, May 3, 2007

That's really irritating...

Today's really irritating award goes to: People who answer questions they didn't listen to.

Example: I went to make a purchase today from a mobile vendor. Was perfectly satisfied with the price. Asked "Do you take VISA" (because otherwise it'd clear out my wallet... not a huge deal since I work for my bank, but not something I particularly wanted since I'm heading out to a "free booze" even this evening and may need cab fare). Answer: "Yes". Wraps up the item, I hold out the laminated loan shark.... "Oh, I only take cash" Gah! Then why, in the name of all that is holy, would you say "Yes" when asked if you take VISA??????

Close runner up... people who ask questions and can't be bothered to listen to the answer. Like the woman in the other location I went to make a purchase... who asked if I needed help finding anything and when I said "yes please... I'm looking for..." had already turned and walked away. Needless to say, I left nothing behind in that store except the dust off my shoes... certainly not my money.

I can understand the "polite question"... you know... "How are you?" when you don't really want to hear more than "fine" or "I've been better" as a response... not a catalogue of every ailment imaginable. But if you're in a service job... and you ask a service-related question... should you not, then, stick around long enough to hear the answer to know if you should... you know... provide some SERVICE???!?

People suck, so I'm off to play pool on someone else's dime. Should be entertaining... this group of 7 people who do work for our department invited us all out. 10 of us. Who's going? Well... the 7 of them and 3 of us. Yes... 30% of the invitees from here are actually able to go. Curiously enough, we also make up the 3-person team within the department who may be dealing the most with them in the future, so I suppose it's a good thing *laugh*

Have a great one, folks... I'm outta here!

No comments: