Friday, May 11, 2007

What the hell is wrong with some people?

I had a big long rant typed up, but since it was 2 full pages in Word, I figured it was probably a wee bit long to inflict on anyone who might actually be reading this thing. So, I'll summarize in a rather cryptic nut-shell.

Today I am decidedly peeved with a large group of people because they have been so completely self-absorbed that they have wounded one of the few people in the world that they can truly count on dropping everything to help them if they every really need her.

So... Mom, you rock and I'm so sorry these people suck.
extended maternal family, smarten up, already. This woman is a peach and deserves better from her family.

On other, somewhat happier, topics...

- D has decided I need to take up scrapbooking *laugh*. Well... he's looking for a hobby for me, and every so often I marvel at the things that people come up with (oh that I were nearly as creative... my photo albums are precisely that... albums full of photos... not artsy creative displays with notes and decorative embellishments). So, tonight we investigate how much the financial investment would be to pick up the hobby.

- At lunch I was on the recieving end of a look that clearly said "Ok... it's nice and all, but do you have 3 heads or something?" Why? Because I thanked a stranger for holding the garbage can open for me in the food court. Yes, folks, simple politeness has officially become so uncommon that a simple "Thank you" for a courteous action warants a double-take. But then, I've also been known to hold doors for people, and respond to similar actions with a smile and a "thanks!". What can I say... people are strange.

- I've just spent the better part of today reviewing some proposed website changes and making notes. Through this endeavour I have discovered two things:
1/ I like the "track changes" and "insert comment" features of MS Word for such activities.
2/ I hate the "compare and merge documents" feature because it seems to like adding changes that never actually took place in any of the documents involved. Case in point: two documents each with comments on a third (let's call it the "original") document. Merge document 1a into the original. Merge document 1b into the original. Suddenly the combined now shows notes saying phrases were deleted. Interesting. They weren't deleted in the original. They weren't deleted in 1a OR 1b... so where did the note come from?
Sadly, the recipient of the review now gets to combine them because I quite simply gave up.

But... it's 3:15 on Friday afternoon... another half-hour and I'll be free of this place for the weekend (although I've got some work I need to do at some point before Monday morning... but it shouldn't take too long, I'd think).

Wa-hoo! Freedom! :)

No comments: