Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Well, that was nice... and unexpected!

So... this morning got off to a rip-roaring start. Nature put on a fun light-and-sound show... but the rain had stopped by the time we were leaving the house.

Got to the GO station... walked down the platform to where I normally stand (puts me in the car closest to the exit from the platform closest to work). !0 minutes 'til train time and the rumbling starts again. I figure "a little rain never hurt anyone" and figured I'd just deal (not a big fan of umbrellas in electrical storms... I don't mind a little water... and the nearest shelter is not particularly close to that end of the paltform). All was going well... a little bit of drizzle... then, as the train came around the bend (still a good minute or two away) the big, heavy drops started splattering all around. Damn!

And then an unusual thing happened. A woman who takes the same train, with whom I have never before shared so much as a "good morning" lifted her umbrella (she being a good foot shorter than me) and offered me shelter. *boggle* Bless her!

Then... I got on the train and in my haste to get organized and sit down I ripped my earphones from my ear. Literally. And unfortunately the silicone cover for one popped off (a fact I did not notice until I had sat down and was going to put them back in my ears. *sigh* So I figured by the time we got to Union (4 intervening stops) it'd probably be long gone. I had resigned myself to a quick scan at Union and the liklihood of having to buy another set.

Well... we got to Union, and another passenger who had been sitting in the next row of seats facing me (so several people in between) walked straight over to where it must have fallen out... picked it up and handed it back to me! He must have watched it for the whole trip. Bless him, too!

Sometimes people do things that restores my faith in the human race.

No comments: